latest updates from easySERVICE™
Gmail, the popular email service hosted by Google, turns 10 years old on Tuesday. By 2012, it reached 425 million active global users, making it today’s most in-demand email service. And it’s only climbing upward, now estimated to have more than 500 million active accounts.
But who is the average Gmail user?
Google will occasionally share background data, but does not share specific statistics about its users. With information culled from email analytics companies such as Litmus and MailChimp, and data company Statista, we put together a rundown of who the average Gmail user is.
1. Mobile is the most popular way to check Gmail; According to collected data from email analytics company Litmus, here’s the breakdown of how Gmail users open their email:
2. More than 120 million users utilize Google Drive; Google Drive is the storage space where users can save documents, photos and more, and it’s accessible to anyone with a Gmail account. Near the end of 2013, there were approximately 120 million active Drive users.
3. The median age is……31! That’s how old the average Gmail user is, according to MailChimp, the email service that creates, sends and tracks email newsletters.
4. Users’ email addresses often reveal their genders; Your username is giving you away. According to MailChimp, some of your email address prefixes can reveal whether you’re male or female. For example, prefixes with “moh” are usually male (because they typically belong to usernames with the male name Mohammed), while prefixes with “grl” are 15 times more likely to be female.
5. Users have little interest in emails about health care or the government; Content-wise, Gmail users aren’t interested in emails sent by email domains pertaining to medical, dental, health care and government topics. However, they appear to be very interested in domains relating to mobile, software and web apps.
6. Many users take advantage of the Gmail mobile app; Considering how often users wield their mobile devices, it’s no surprise that the app is so popular. The Gmail app gets 64.4 million unique visitors per month.
7. Most users are likely liberal, educated males; A 2011 study from Hunch tried to nail Gmail users down to a T. The study found that 68% of Gmail users were in the 18-34 range, likely to be thin, young men with liberal political slants. They were single, childless, not particularly religious and enjoyed reading blogs.
Source: Associated Press